Notify Message
Page 1
#13504142 Oct 30, 2017 at 12:30 AM
206 Posts

"It's the bleedin' planet, I tell you." - Edrington Grunwald

Report Title: Camp Defiance Watch, Three Day Cycle

Author: Sergeant Major Edrington W. Grunwald, 1st Company, 7th Battalion

Date[s] of Report: October 26 - 28, 37 L.C.


As instructed by Captain and First Guard, Sir Markus Stonewall, I, Sergeant Major Edrington Wilhelm Grunwald, proceeded to take charge of guard duty for three nights at Camp Defiance, the Westridge First's outpost on Argus in the province of Krokuun. This duty was assigned as part of my aspirancy to join the ranks of the Ducal Guard, specifically my trial of endurance. From 2000 to 2400, then followed by a shift from 2400 to 0400, I first patrolled the outer perimeter of the camp grounds and then changed towards the inner walls before 0400, where I was relieved and then rested until reveille at 0800. These patrols were not, as intended to obstruct my usual duties. Instead, usually after a combat outing or patrol, I swiftly returned back to camp, grabbed a quick meal, tended to administrative work, and headed out to my watch station for the night.

On the first night, activity was fierce on the outer perimeter. The camp had just been attacked that night by a force of Legion demons, seeking to storm through our defenses and dislodge us from the area. Scattered enemy forces, such as imps and fel guards, harassed the outer walls constantly. However, these attacks were driven off quickly. Beyond this, I encouraged and motivated the troops watching the line with me. Running from one trench to the other, it was my duty to stir soldiers from their slumber, keep their patrol paths randomized, and check in every hour to ensure no enemy had slipped by undetected. Only three soldiers were wounded that night in the attacks, thanks be to the Light above.

The following night was much quieter. The remaining Legion forces had fled or been repulsed by our forces. I report that my own physical and mental state was weakened, but a quick dose of ice water and a jog around the perimeter during my rounds reinvigorated my spirits. In times where my focus and concentration eluded me, I found that reciting the Soldier's Prayer proved most effective in keeping my mind thinking and alert. Only one incident warranted any attention, wherein I momentarily failed to catch a small band of local feline creatures attempting to scurry past the palisade. I quickly dealt with them with my rifle and immediately moved troops to reinforce that part of the perimeter. Beyond this, I reprimanded a soldier for venturing around camp late at night with no plausible reason. He was given laps the following morning for this oversight.

Finally, on the third night, all was relatively quiet as well. First and foremost, there was no enemy activity on the perimeter, neither from the Legion or the wildlife. This was surprising, given the fact that the enemy had assaulted our camp again, this time jeopardizing many of our supplies in the process. Instead, only a few incidents of note transpired. One, a soldier was stuck nearby in one of the many tar pits. Proceeding to help the man, I reprimanded him for his lack of care and instructed him to clean his armor immediately so as to maintain some modicum of decency. Second, a patrol had marched off the appropriate path that was given to them and I had almost mistaken them for the enemy. The patrol leader was punished with another round of guard duty, this time along the inner perimeter wherein I joined them. We marched at a brisk pace for some time, helping me stay active and punishing them for their oversight. Thereafter, I returned to my usual routes and found nothing else of note. Thankfully, the Legion seemed to have learned their lesson after the first major incursion into our camp.

Personal Notes:

I will admit that the first and second nights were challenging but relatively calm, even given the circumstances after the first raid on Camp Defiance. At first, I found it difficult to focus on the task at hand, used to the comfort of my pipe or the occasional break to handle some administrative work here or there. I had pulled long watch duties before, notably during my campaigns in Kingsland with the Royal Colonial Guard. Still, even the humid and oppressive jungle could not have prepared me for the conditions of this demonic world. The very ground, it seems, is tainted with foul energies. They sap at a man's soul, draining it and weakening one's fortitude. Still, I am happy to say that I managed to maintain an acceptable level of alertness.

It was the third night that proved the hardest. I was gravely wounded during the raid that day, but I reminded myself of the Guard's tenants of duty, perseverance, and -- most relevant to this trial -- endurance. Once my wounds were patched up by the regimental doctors and menders, at least to the best of their abilities, I proceeded to engage in rigorous physical activity whilst patrolling so as to harden the body and accustom myself to the pains of movement while injured. A mixture of adrenaline and practiced determination kept me going for some time until, shamefully, I began to wane in energy. My legs shook and coupled, causing me to stagger for some time. One of the cadre officers found me, whipped me back into shape, and I continued my watch around the perimeter. Although it is, again, quite shameful to report this lapse in discipline, I do so to maintain a level of honesty and integrity in myself and my duty to the regiment, King, and Country. I strove from thereon that night to remain focused, and I am pleased to report that I completed the remainder of my watch successfully.

Edrington W. Grunwald, Sgt. Major
Page 1